How To Add Favicon To WordPress
A favicon is also known as a web icon, shortcut icon, URL icon, tab icon or bookmark icon. It is a file which can contain one or more smaller icons and they are normally associated with a particular web page or website. You can tell that you are looking at a favicon as it is a graphic that measures 16 x 16 pixels are can be found on web browsers, URL bars and tabs and they are also used in mobile devices. A favicon can also be used in WordPress and if you want to add favicon to WordPress, you need to create a favicon first then add it to your site.
How to Create a Favicon
You can create a favicon by using a graphic that you prefer or you can make use of an image editing software such as GIMP. Choose an image that is relevant to your content and your line of business. To create a favicon, take the following steps:
- Choose an image or graphic then place it inside a square.
- Resize the image. Make sure that you are using 16 x 16 pixels.
- Save the file as favicon.ico.
Adding Favicon to WordPress
To add favicon to WordPress does not require special or above average computer and technical skills. You just have to follow simple instructions and even refer to online tutorials or blogsites for instructions. Here are step by step guide for adding favicon to WordPress.
- Got to your WordPress. Choose and click the Administration Screen.
- Choose and click the Appearance option.
- Click the Theme Editor.
- To edit the file, choose and click Header or header php.
- When you get to the Header option, find out if there is a code that starts with <link rel=”shortcut icon and ends with /favicon.ico” />. If there is, overwrite it then add favicon to WordPress below the <head>HTML
- Lastly, save the changes then click refresh to see the if the favicon were added to your WordPress and if the steps were functional.