A Look At Yangon – Places To Be
As you might expect from a tourist hot spot, even one as mild as Yangon, there’s a lot of options for when you’re looking for a destination to enjoy. From any hotel in Yangon Myanmar, there’s a lot of places surrounding you that’ll help you enjoy your stay in the city. Of course, where do you want to go? What do you enjoy? Where you stay will do a lot to defining your experience, so you’ll want to carefully consider it.
Now this isn’t a definitive guide, just something to get started with. Now, with that out of the way…
- The Bahan area in the western half of the city is one of the most thriving in its bounds, with a lot of museums, markets, pagodas, gardens and the like for people to enjoy.
- One notable example is the Shwedagon Pagoda, which is dated at around 2,500 years of age. To get to this wonderful structure, visitors will make a trek up one of four entrances to get to the pagoda, with many saying the golden structure is best seen with the clear night sky as its backdrop.
- The eastern half of the city has a lot of options; Botataung, North Dagon and Pazundaung are just some of the options.
- If you’re a culture lover, Botahtaung is your place to be, thanks to the many colonial era structures located in the area for the avid designer and culture vulture. Also in the area is the Botahtaung Pagoda, for which the area is named.
- For bustling activity, you’ll want to head for MingalaTaungnyunt, which is where visitors can find the Yangon Central Railway Station, a public transport hub located in one of the most densely populated areas in all of Yangon.
- The area with the least activity, with the least things to see. That being said, the St. Francis’ Catholic Church and the Mogaung Pagoda, the Supramanayan Hindu Temple, the Nagalein Pagoda, and the Kalayana Temple are all here, meaning that this is the place for the faith tourist.
- One of the furthest from downtown, these areas weren’t initially a part of Yangon. They only got added when the boundaries were expanded, with areas like Insein, 20 miles from the city centre, counted.
- Here is where Kamayut, one of the most successful areas in the city are, with some of the city’s major universities located here, alongside the Judson Chapel.
- For those looking for places of faith, the Mayangone Township has pagodas, churches and monasteries, though there’s some issues with accommodation, as there aren’t that many options.